Saturday, February 2, 2008

Working with Group 1 on an unconventional history lesson

I'm back from Florida and so happy that I had more time to spend face-to-face with all of you.

This past week several people from work approached me about my action research wiki and when was I going to put it up. Thanks to Salina, who gave me a few good tips, it's going up this Monday.

I'm looking forward to collaborating with Todd, Jessica, and Brandy on a "History" Learning Adventure that we will design ourselves for Melissa's class.

Jessica found this incredible blog which 'belongs to' a World War I soldier. We're finding a way to use it to teach students a history lesson through an intimate journey through the 1918 diaries of this British WWI soldier stationed in Italy. His letters are shared through a blog hosted by his grandson. Schools in England are reading the wiki on a daily basis. A Canadian television station shared a video clip showing classrooms of students who were genuinely concerned about the outcome of this story which is being revealed day by day on the blog. Although the soldier would be 120 years old today, the students want to know what happens to him during the war.

This is a remarkable way to learn and reflect. (Rita)

No comments: